Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Cactus Slim



"The first cast member selected for the Barn Dance was Herbert Woodrow Wilson.  Known as Cactus Slim, he headlined the opening Sunset Valley broadcast.  Rail-thin, quiet and humble, Cactus Slim played string bass in the band and performed single vocals such as Little Red Wagon, accompanying himself on guitar.  Until his death late in the show's run, Cactus Slim was a mainstay of the cast." - (excerpt from the book "David Stone In Sunset Valley", copyright 1983 by Gerarld Barfuss)

I am not sure if there was more than one artist going by the name Cactus Slim.  Searches come up with another (or the same?) Cactus Slim, as The Lonesome Serenader.

other issues by Cactus Slim on the FM label, which I don't have yet:
FM 348 - My Little Red Wagon / I Walk Alone
FM 385 - Cowboy Polka / Barbara Polka

FM 435
Year: 195?
Label location: Los Angeles, Ca
Pressed by: FM

It's Wrong


Last Letter


Click here to --->>>Download

3 comments:

Grandpa Man said...

I have Cactus Slim on M. M. Cole transcriptions from early 1940s. I have 12 songs, as I remember. Sounds similar to your Cactus Slim on FM records.

Derik said...

Nice. Is there some way you can share it?

Johan said...

The Lonesome Serenader is the same guy.
There were at least two MM Cole discs no. 23-26 (in all 23 songs). My listing of MM Cole transcriptions have 8 unknown nos. 15-22 (ie 4 discs) just before Cactus Slim. They may of course be by another artist.
One more FM disc no 470
I Love You Because/Tomorrow...