Friday, March 14, 2014

Tony Darro




Billboard January 18, 1960


I got an email from the real Tony Darro, so I thought I'd revise this 2011 post.  I want to thank Tony for allowing me to share his music on the blog, and for not being offended and trying to sue me like some folks who I won't mention by name (because they'll sue me!)

For some reason the RCA matrix starts with a letter K, which meant 1959.  But every other source says 1960 for this record.

Here is an email from Tony:

"Tony Darro was the stage name I adopted when I became a singer in 1960, at the age of 20.  I was born in Philly (West) in 1939 on Dec. 18th and the song Sad Sad and Lonely was a song my Mother to use to sing to me and my two brothers in a much slower beat.  I recorded a number of songs at Bell Sound Studios in New York back in 1960, including: Young Hearts, The Tender Age , I Haven't Anybody to Love, Double Brandy, Packing My Blues, Cleo.  As a matter of fact, Bobby Rydell also recorded some songs in the same studio the same night I did. 

My name often gets confused with the actor Tony Darrow who spells his name with a W.   I was also on both the Milt Grant and Buddy Dean shows on Television in New York back in the 60's, I performed at shows ( record hops ) with chubby Checker, Bobby Rydell, Freddie Cannon, Fats Domino, (among others whom I've forgotten).  I am 74 yrs old now and still married to the same woman for 52 years. Three Children, Girl Angela, Boys , Anthony (Tony) and Richard , 6 grandchildren and live in Myrtle Beach SC"

Here is one of my fan club pictures:



Crosley 217
Year: 1960
Label location: Philadelphia, Pa
Pressed by: RCA

I Haven't Anybody To Love


The Tender Age


Click here to --->>>Download

3 comments:

Bruce said...

Thanks, fun one to look up and great music to drink martini's to. Its Philly all the way with the composer, arranger (they spelled his name wrong) and label all from Philly. Looks like the odd man out is Tony our gangster from New York. My favorite bit of info is the fact that in 58' Crosby signed Rosco and his Little Green men who all had green hair! Hey, Here's a you tube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0BNuG9GMIk&feature=related - they weren't bad.

Bruce said...

The label got the arrangers name wrong and I got the labels name wrong - I meant Crosley.

DrunkenHobo said...

Crosley (PA) 218 (1959) Mike Russo - I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door : Listed as Rock 'N' Roll but going by his tracks on the Bigtop Mad LP & RCA Might be doo-wop novelty

Crosley (PA) 226 (1960) Tony Darro - Sad Sad & Lonely / ??? maybe a Teen rocker