Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ebay 45s vol. 1

I spend a fair amount of time combing through ebay auctions.  Most of the time the records are out of my price range, but it's fun to see what's selling and for how much.  Occasionally the seller posts audio and I usually do my best to download it somehow.  It took me a while to learn how to do this, since there is no "click to download" button.  The seller doesn't want to give anything away for free, of course.  I think some have caught on to my game, and have begun to post only :30 second sample clips.  When I do see the entire song has been posted, I rip it and add it to my iTunes library.  I am not the first to do this, since someone else posted a collection of about 300 tracks on Rockhall forum last year.  They culled the audio from Youtube and ebay, but I have a problem with posting audio from youtube vids here, because I feel it is replicating (stealing?) the work of others.  I don't feel that way about ebay 45s, since I don't care if the seller gets mad at me.  They probably don't even notice since once the record is sold they are done with it.

So here is the first batch of audio files that I personally ripped and archived.  There are about 70 tracks in all, from auctions of June-August this year.  It's mostly country, with some teeners and rockers thrown in.

I didn't plan to do a posting like this, so didn't save the label scan images separately.  They should show up in your iTunes though, once you import the tracks.

I couldn't fit all the tracks into one download, because I don't have a premium Mediafire account.

Click here to ---Download

9 comments:

Country Boy Lance said...

Thanks Derik. Some real jewels in there. Can't wait for the next batch.

jetydo said...

Awesome idea!

Jack Hayden said...

Thanks for this. How do you download these things?

Derik said...

@Jack
Download all 3 parts, then use winrar software to extract the mp3s from the zip files.

paul said...

Thank you for sharing this with us

DrunkenHobo said...

Thank you I had a great afternoon hearing these. Many I did not know. Fantastic stuff.

Jack Hayden said...

Thanks. I was wondering how you pull the tracks off ebay?

Derik said...

@Jack.
There are several ways, but the one I've settled with is as follows.

I use a firefox plugin called Flashgot. Once it's installed, go to the auction page and start playing the audio on the ecommerce audio player. Once it starts playing hover your mouse in a blank part of the screen and right click. You will see an option that says "Flashgot media (1)". Choose this and it will download the audio as a video file. Once it has finished downloading, I use Gom Player (a player I got used to using while living in Korea, which is pretty fancy) to save the video as an audio file. Like I said there are many different ways to go about this process, depending on what software programs you are using. My method is probably not the fastest or easiest, it's just the one that I got used to using. I'm sure other audio players have their own conversion from a video file to an audio file.

Ebay is much easier. Just download DVDVideoSoft's Free Youtube to Mp3 converter. This is especially useful, now that Youtube has cracked down on websites that convert youtube vids to mp3. I wish people wouldn't post records on Youtube. I imagine somehow they feel people cannot download it and share it with others, but that's obviously not true. I much prefer to maintain a blog than a youtube channel.

Hope that helps. There are fewer and fewer ebay seller posting full audio files nowadays. They have caught on to downloaders like me.

DrunkenHobo said...

You can use audio hijack pro if your a mac user to capture any sound . if its divishare player try clicking on share on the top bar then download.