Friday, April 22, 2011

Vernon Dalhart (as Mack Allen)




I found this disc yesterday at Vintage Music Company in Minneapolis. They might be the only store left that sells only the 78 rpm format. The owner Scott knows more about 78s than anyone you're likely to meet.

This disc came to me two weeks late, as I had already sent out to friends my playlist for Tennessee. Dangit!

I'd really like to buy the book "Vernon Dalhart - First Star of Country Music", but it's hard to find because it was self-published. There a copy on ebay for $75. I looked around some libraries and the closest one to Minnesota that has it is in Memphis. Maybe I'll stop in on my way to the wedding in Tennessee next month and scan it to a pdf. I'd really like to know just how many aliases Marion Try Slaughter used in his career.

Mack Allen
Vernon Dalhart
Al Craver
Tobe Little
Vernon Dell
Mr. X
????

Harmony 1037-H
1929

In The Hills of Tennessee


Download

Blue Ridge Sweetheart


Download

No comments: